Saturday, April 18, 2015

week 16-Year of Jewelry- Made of Thick Wire

This week's project is something made from thick wire... this is my answer to it.
This piece is of a purple amethyst/agate stone with steel wire around, and 28g brass wire wrapped pendant. The chain is an aluminium wire like the kind you find in the floral section of the craft store. I had bought some to use in floral arrangements a few years ago, I like to use it for that purpose, but I have had fun using it in other projects as well. I have a couple of bracelets that I have made using it, and then a few necklaces like this one... I kinda like it. Using this type of wire can be kind of tricky. If you use pliers, they must be either coated in protectant or use pliers that have the plastic covers to make sure you don't mar the finish.  When you snip the wire, you use Flush Cutting wire cutters. They give a better, smoother cut, but you still need to use sand paper to file down the ends. Normally, when you curl wire, you would sand or file down one side of the end of the wire, giving you a nice, gentle slope to start the curl... it just looks better, more finished and is a smooth transition from the end of the wire into the curl... but when the center of the wire is silvertoned and the outer color is different, it isn't practical to do that, the center color will show...
So, I blunted the ends and curled carefully and this is what I came up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to, leave a message and tell me what you thought of the post.