Saturday, September 5, 2015

Week 36 - Birthstone of the Month: Sapphire

Cut sapphires from my collection of stones
When we think about Sapphires, we think of the deep blue, brilliantly cut gems that are so beautiful and sought after. Something like the engagement ring worn by Diana, Princess of Wales.  Actually, the stone
tiny cut sapphires, all 2mm or smaller
s come in a multitude of colors... I didn't know this until I started working with stones some years ago. I started looking at stones to buy and found such a varied and beautiful assortment. The stones are in the same family as the Ruby, which is from the mineral called Corundum. Ruby denotes the red color stones... Sapphire is the name given to all other colors... ranging from colorless to pink, yellow, grey, orange, black to the deep blue we all think about... 
I actually own some sapphires. The stones at the top are a variety of cut sapphires that range in size. the next picture is a sampling of tiny stones, all about 2mm and smaller.

 My aunt gave me a pair of beautiful sapphire and opal earrings when I was 14... way too early for that kind of gift, but that was Aunt Margaret. She was a generous and sweet woman, who loved all things beautiful.
I treasure the earrings, and when I started learning to set stones, I ordered sapphires thinking I would make a ring to match my beautiful earrings.
I have used them for other projects, but not a ring for myself... yet...
That might come soon...  

So, I haven't had time the past week to do any stone setting, I've been working on a couple of necklaces that have been really on my mind, but I did make these earrings... I think they  will do as Sapphire color... not actual sapphires 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to, leave a message and tell me what you thought of the post.