Saturday, July 4, 2015

Year of Jewelry-Week 27-Birthstone of the Month- Ruby

This month is a special month! My daughter was born in the middle of July... a very hot and dry year... and I can remember thinking that her birthstone would be lovely...when someday when she was grown, she would have rubies, very precious stones. I love the phrase ..."A price above rubies"... and that is how I think of my daughter... as being precious.
This necklace is not made with actual rubies, but if I could afford it, it would be!
I loved the color of the cut glass and crystals, what a rich and welcoming birthstone.

An actual gemtone in itself, the ruby is prized in many countries as being worth more than other precious gemstones. It's deep red evokes thoughts of blood and life itself.

The Chinese Emperor Kublai Khan was said to have offered an entire city in exchange for a sizable Ruby.  Rubies were given in offering to Krishna along with gold to ask to be granted rebirth as an emperor, and Rubies are mentioned in the Bible and by the Roman Pliny, who used it's description in his writings. The word Ruby comes from the word in Latin RUBER, translated into English as 'red'.

No wonder we have a fascination with this gem. It seems to have been used throughout the ages as a good luck charm, bringing safety, health and invincibility!

Here is my homage to the ruby...


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to, leave a message and tell me what you thought of the post.