Sunday, January 18, 2015

Week Three- Try a Tutorial

This is week three of the Year of Jewelry Project, and to my astonishment, I'm still going!  This week's challenge is to try a tutorial. So I did. I tried out the Beadaholique tutorial on right angle weave. It was different using the odd shaped beads in the mix but it was easy to do. The beads came from the Pine Ridge Treasures 'True Blue' challenge and I had worried over finishing that challenge and doing something for week three... so I combined them.
The 'True Blue' challenge was going to be a three strand necklace, but I think the tutorial got me out of a rut. I don't do RAW much, matter of fact, I've only done maybe 6 pieces that I used that stitch. I really had to think about working on the necklace, as it doesn't come naturally to me like peyote stitch does.
The beads used were;  glass and crystal pearls, frosted glass and crystal beads as well as a glass bead that I got from Lori Anderson that is shaped like a bell that is fluted... it looked like a flower to me, so I used seed beads to make the 'stamen' and voila! here it is~

So.... I decided to use the Right Angle weave to make a necklace and then decided to make a bracelet to go along with the necklace... I ended up finishing the bracelet first. It is a Peyote stitch bracelet with a bead embroidered
peacock feather. I used 8/0 glass beads for the bracelet and 11/0 glass seed beads for he clasp and for the bead embroidery.
The necklace will be done tonight, with any luck, and I'll try to get a good picture of it, I kind of like it... I used 8/0 glass beads in the RAW stitch and thought it was kind of bare, so I went back and used 11/0 glass seed beads and larger, maybe 8mm and 6mm glass seeds to make a 'drop' and it looks better. I made the pendant out of a square glass bezel that I bought a year ago and just haven't had the time to make anything with it... I used a piece of cardstock from some beads that I bought as the picture. Glue and sealer and I will use 11/0 seeds to bezel it in a peyote stitch.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to, leave a message and tell me what you thought of the post.